A problem I ran into when creating a new query in my freshly installed Microsoft Excel 2016 was that I could not import data to the Data Model. This is set in the ‘Load To’ dialog when you open a new Workbook and choose ‘New Query’ to import data from a file or database.
Well the solution in my case anyway. Again, mind that this is for Microsoft Excel 2016. I do not know the previous versions behavior.
The solution lies in the default file type and extension set in the configuration to save your Workbook.
How to change this?
- From the top menu you open the ‘File’ menu.
- There you choose ‘Options’.
- In the ‘Excel Options’ dialog you choose ‘Save’ on the left hand side.
- In the ‘Save workbooks’ section (the first section) you will find the ‘Save files in this format: ‘ drop down where you can choose the different types of files.
- Choose ‘Excel Workbook (*.xlsx) and you are good to go.
I hope that this helped you. Do not hesitate to post a comment.